Wednesday, July 23, 2008

So let's have a bit of discussion about the single. Nobody buys them anymore. They used to be the staple of the record store, mostly because they were priced to sell and they came with good music. Well, the single has been suffering for ages. It doesn't really matter why, but let's think about it for a minute. Here is something I learned while I was doing research for my senior paper for history: the Beatles and other artists helped make the album an art form in itself, rather than a collection of songs. First off, the Beatles, along with the Beach Boys and Frank Zappa helped create the concept album. See Pet Sounds and Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. This helped push the sale of albums, since they were meant to be consumed as a whole. An early blow for singles!

Now let's fast forward to when I was a kid looking at the music selection at ShopKo. Singles just didn't seem cost-effective to me. Why buy one disc that was manufactured cheaply with five songs on it when I can spend a few dollars more for a dozen songs on a disc that was manufactured cheaply. It doesn't really make sense. Nowadays with the iTunes Store and all that you can pick and choose which songs to download for $.99 a pop. And that's when looking at albums. No one gives a second thought to the single anymore. And that's kind of a shame.

I've been reading Morrissey: The Albums by Johnny Rogan. It's an examination of all the albums released by Morrissey throughout his entire career, with the Smiths and as a solo artist. This is an intense examination of the lyrics and music by Morrissey and his collaborators. It got me thinking about the B-sides because Rogan frequently compares what appears on the album to what didn't. I also own Morrissey: The Singles '88-'91, an attractive 10-disc set that was released just a few years ago. It really got me thinking about the B-side and what the death of the single means for music consumers.

I'm a completist, even as I don't own many singles. I think the only singles I own are by Morrissey and Depeche Mode. But, they are valuable parts of my music collection. So, the moral at the end of the day? I think the death of the single is imminent as it loses its relevance in today's market. The single is easily forgettable, but it's such a pleasant surprise to rediscover it, especially when it comes to your favorite artists.

1 comment:

Geese said...

When my dad was at University, he bought a single of "Wild Thing" and listened constantly because that was what you did back then. After a certain point, his neighbour knocked on his door, entered, and politely enquired how much the single had cost. On being told, he quitely counted out the relevant amount into my father's hand, before crossing the room, siezing the record, and throwing it out of the window.