Saturday, July 26, 2008

The Slants

This would have been a concert review if I had been able to make my way to Boise last night, but alas, no. Instead I can only give you a bunch of links and opinions on what appears on their myspace. The Slants are a Portland based band heavily inspired by 80s synthpop/dance music. One can hear the New Order influences and the vocal sounds a bit like Depeche Mode, if David Gahan was an American. They also sound a bit like New Wave contemporaries The Faint. Their angle is that they are all Asian-Americans (but one!) and in an interview I read, they were used to being the token Asian in their respective bands. So they joined up and called themselves The Slants in an acknowledgment of their cultural identity.

I guess the best thing I can say is that I am buying their CD at cdbaby.com. Their music is fun and would any song would be a great addition to a party mix.

Links:
The Slants official website
The Slants on MySpace
The Slants on CD Baby where you can buy their album Slanted Eyes, Slanted Hearts.

No comments: