Tuesday, July 8, 2008

I always do this.

I get a new album and it takes me six months to really get into it. This is practically the rule with me. I'm only three months off this time - right now, I'm getting into Last Night, the latest offering from Moby. I have been a Moby fan ever since I heard "Drop a Beat" and "Next Is the E" off his self-titled album while I watched my brother play computer games. From there, I fell in love with Everything is Wrong. "Feeling So Real" was my favorite for many years but now it's "Everytime You Touch Me". "Cool Blue Hive" made its way onto many soundtracks, including Scream. This and his breakout album Play saddled him with the techno/electronica label - and we all heard "Porcelain" way too many times. He soon followed it up with much of the same with 18. But one has to look to the albums Animal Rights and Hotel (Disc 1 only; Disc 2 is ambient stuff) to know that Moby knows how to rock.

With Last Night he returns to a techno, dance sound with palpable touches of disco, notable on "Disco Lies" (duh!). I still don't know that much about Last Night but I can say that it's slick and feels good to listen to. It's a bit reminiscent of his self-titled album, and that's okay. This album is a love letter to the 1980s club scene. Even though I didn't live it, I still wish I could be transported to a different time and place so I could dance the night away.

1 comment:

Geese said...

When I saw you mention Moby I thought "Hey, perhaps finally I might know some of the stuff she is talking about", but ha! as if. I didn't even know he had a self-titled album. 'Extreme Ways' is used as the credit music for the Jason Bourne films, though. You should mention that. They're pretty awesome. This one time, he beat a dude up with a phonebook. Earlier, he used a fan and a flashlight to kill some bad dudes. Much earlier, he fought off a knife-wielding assassin using a ballpoint pen. I think you should do a blog post about how awesome Jason Bourne is. He's dreamy.