Thursday, July 3, 2008

Random Artist Plug: ABC

Now admittedly I don't know much about ABC other than a few of their songs. But they win for having one of the best album titles How To Be A...Zillionaire! (1985). From that album they have an awesome song called "Be Near Me". This song is catchy as hell and the video is amazing. My brother, sister and I caught in on VH1 Classic one day and we were enthralled by its simple beats and oversized instruments.

Now I think their most popular song was "The Look of Love" from The Lexicon of Love (1982). What some people may not know is that Lexicon is a concept album (according to wikipedia, anyway) about the singer's heartbreak as he tries to have a successful romantic relationship. Poor Martin Fry.

Next up: a review of a local artist from Nampa.

ETA: I heard David Bowie's "Stay" (You know, from Station to Station. You know, Thin White Duke era Bowie.) at the bank today and I was pleasantly surprised. I don't know what sort of music setup they have, probably satellite radio. Whatever forces conspired to allow this to happen, it made me very happy. It literally made my day. I sent a text to my sister telling her "I heard Stay at the bank!" Turns out she thought I meant Oingo Boingo's "Stay" which would be just as surprising to hear at the bank, if not more.

No comments: