Thursday, December 18, 2008

The Hazards of Being a Professional and a Fan

I am a fan. I mean that in the most general sense. I participate in many fandoms on different levels. I read fanfic - no joke. I'm actually working on a story for one of my fandom friends. Most fans dream of meeting the object of their affections. It's a strong passion - for some, an obsession. I will stand up and say it, sometimes it's hard for the fan to quiet down when the professional is needed.

For instance, I interviewed the very talented Spencer Cobrin for my school newspaper via MySpace. He was very kind and candid, great qualities in a subject. He even wished me a happy birthday a month or so later. I was a bit infatuated. I wished that we could somehow maintain correspondence and even be friends. Of course, that's not gonna happen. The most I can hope for is that I get to hang out with him for a bit when I work on my book. And that will have to be enough.



Maybe this is a bit of a lame post because it doesn't even take that much discipline to resist the urge to contact a musician because it's pretty obvious that your reputation would suffer as a consequence. But ain't gonna lie, it's very cool to talk to your idols. Duh.

No comments: