Friday, October 24, 2008

An ill-written rant.

The economy. Ugh. I don't even want to mention it. But as we all tighten our belts, we can still enjoy new music - well, to borrow from NBC, it's not new but it's new to you. My solution is BUDGET VINYL and USED CDS. Not revolutionary by any means. It's just that I'm proud to say that I buy records for $.99. For a buck, it's hard to feel any buyer's remorse, even if the album sucks. Rach and I are the proud owners of The Lexicon of Love, Rumours, two Robert Palmer albums, and many more.

Not that I'm a vinyl freak by any stretch of the imagination. Basically, I grew up on Disney soundtracks and Engelbert Humperdink and The Beach Boys. I didn't really see the huge appeal of records.

The price of new vinyl? Totally cheeses me off. Rach and I were looking at the rock section and Playing the Angel costs almost $25. Give me a break, recording industry. Not to be nostalgic for a time I wasn't even alive, but the Smiths released Hatful of Hollow at an attractive price. THERE WAS A REASON FOR THIS. They wanted to move lots of units. And it worked. Imagine that.

Oh yeah, go to The Record Exchange to get cheap vinyl and be all cool and support independent record stores, if you're in Boise, that is.

No comments: