Friday, April 3, 2009

SotD: "Cars" by Gary Numan

I love Gary Numan, for all that I don't know about him. I know that now he's gone a bit goth, I saw him on Graham Norton's show once, he appeared on The Mighty Boosh and he didn't smile in pictures for years because he was self-conscious about his teeth. OH! and he has a pilot's license, imagine that!

I've always loved the song Cars, which is probably familiar to most everyone. Numan is considered a pioneer in synth pop, forging a demand for synth-based music. His music included "themes of depersonalisation and alienation ", which helped drive critics' claims that synth music is inhuman and emotionless. Claims which, coincidentally enough, the band Rush refuted in the lines of "The Spirit of Radio"

All this machinery
Making modern music
Can still be open-hearted
Not so coldly charted
Its really just a question
Of your honesty


Included only because I like the band Rush and its vague relevance. "Cars" was a single taken from 1979's The Pleasure Principle. Enjoy!


No comments: