Wednesday, January 21, 2009

David Bowie - where to start?

As promised, I am writing a post about David Bowie.
Here is a comment I left to a friend when he mentioned that he wanted to listen to David Bowie
I think my first complete David Bowie album was Aladdin Sane (1973); that's a good place to start. If you don't mind slightly inaccessible albums, I recommend Station to Station (1976) and Diamond Dogs (1974). These are all from the seventies. If you like crazy awesome stuff that's Eno-flavored, then I recommend the Berlin Trilogy - Low (1977), "Heroes" (1977), and Lodger (1979). Some nineties Bo is good. I recommend 1. Outside 1995, also made with Brian Eno. Earthling (1997) is kind of a more dance music album with light flavors of industrial. I don't really pay attention to Buddha of Suburbia (1993) or 'Hours ...' (1999).

There are only two albums post 2000 - Heathen (2002) and Reality (2003). I think Heathen is pretty great. Reality is pretty solid as well.

80s Bo is when he went pop to compete with New Wave artists. It's okay if you like pop. It's better to pick and choose singles from this time period. I like "Blue Jean", "Modern Love", and the Labyrinth soundtrack (1986) is okay.


And that's a bit of an overview of Bowie's musical career.

No comments: