Monday, November 3, 2008

Years of Refusal tour, "break the bank" bands

So I'm already remiss in my participation in NaBloPoMo. Awesome. Yesterday was a bummer of a day as yours truly was so broke it hardly made it worth it to go to the Vinyl Show and Swap. What if, had I gone, I won one of the raffle prizes? Oh well.

I've been thinking about shows. It's been quite some time since I've seen live music. Last concert was the MSI show that left me a feeling a bit cold. But I always look forward to bigger and better things...

Such as the fact that Morrissey announced the release day of his new album Years of Refusal. FEBRUARY 23! That day will also kick off the US leg of his tour to support the album. I've never seen Mozza live and some may say he's peaked but Morrissey is one of my "break the bank" bands.

All music lovers have artists they dream of seeing live, artists who mean so much that we would empty our bank accounts to catch them. It just so happens that two of my "break the bank" bands are touring this year, luckily half a year apart, Morrissey and Depeche Mode. I have others but it's less likely that I will see them live. It appears that Bowie is in semi-retirement. Iman said he was writing the followup to Reality at least three years ago. But I digress.

I haven't really thought about it, but we've also spent a lot of money on two other big name acts: Rolling Stones and Rush. Now these acts, especially the Rolling Stones, are waaaaaay past their golden days, but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy every second they played for us. Even from way up in the stadium I felt the sexual energy coming off Mick Jagger. *giggle*

I wanted to see Rush ever since my brother saw them live and I stole his Grace Under Pressure cassette. I've memorized the little staticky pops and it always gives me pause when I hear those songs now. The show I saw was great, even if they played too many new songs when I just wanted their classics. Also, Geddy Lee looks like an old lesbian.

So tell me: who are your break the bank bands?

No comments: